Studying the varieties of potatoes in the photo and according to the descriptions, you can face a number of questions. For example, which is better - the prolific Dutch or our unpretentious.
- Which variety of potatoes to choose
- Brief advice on agricultural technology
- Pulp colors
Which variety of potatoes to choose
When choosing potatoes, you may come across the fact that the Dutch are considered the best. In general, foreign varieties grown on the basis of hormones and suspicious dressings, banned as carriers of GMOs, have many advantages. But domestic varieties are still considered competitive. What are the most popular varieties?
- Zhukovsky early - its ripening time is 70-80 days. This variety is loved for its plasticity. It also has good yields. Even a low temperature will not hurt him. He also has some of the best taste;
- Spring white is also early maturing. This variety is a table variety, it has a high marketability. Potatoes have beautiful white tubers. The variety is considered tasty;
- Timo Hankkiyan has a good marketable tuber weight. This variety is imported from Finland. All types of soil are suitable for growing. Tubers are round, white, with good taste. His shoots are friendly and strong. The variety is suitable when it is to be grown in a drought;
- Luck is another early ripening variety. He is very popular. A large number of fruits can be obtained. The first marketable crop is obtained in June;
- Povin is an early variety of Ukrainian selection. A very popular variety. The peel is red, the tubers are round, the size is medium;
- Borodyansky pink is a medium-early variety of Ukrainian selection. The peel is pink, the tubers are round, the size is medium;
- Dnepryanka is an early variety of Ukrainian selection. The peel is yellow, the tubers are round, large;
- Lugovskoy is a mid-season variety of Ukrainian selection. The peel is pink, the tubers are oval, large;
- Tiras is an early variety of Ukrainian selection. The peel is pink, the eye is highlighted in bright red, the tubers are oval, large;
- Slavyanka is a mid-season variety of Ukrainian selection. The peel is red, the tubers are round, large;
- Fantasy is a mid-season variety of Ukrainian selection. The peel is pink, the tubers are oval, large;
- Shchedryk is a mid-early variety of Ukrainian selection. The peel is yellow, the peephole stands out in bright red, the tubers are oval, large.
Brief advice on agricultural technology
When choosing a potato variety for planting, it is necessary to study the various conditions for its cultivation, the peculiarities of the soils in Ukraine. Based on this, it will be easier to choose the variety you are interested in.
Pay attention to the study of agricultural cultivation techniques, familiarize yourself with moisture conservation techniques such as loosening and mulching potatoes, see planting patterns and drip irrigation.
In addition, it is advisable to take note of compliance with the requirements for crop rotation, otherwise the soil will be depleted, diseases and pests that are dangerous to nightshades will accumulate in it. Green manure will help restore the soil.
Let's talk a little about the characteristics of potatoes in terms of their maturation. Early varieties of potatoes, although they give less yield, due to their early maturity, provides early vitamins and nutrition. Often, gardeners choose early potato varieties due to the fact that they tolerate dry times well and manage to gain their mass. Correct collection and timely cleaning of tops will protect potato tubers from damage by late blight. Many of them are well kept.
Mid-season varieties are more likely to be susceptible to fungal diseases, therefore they require more care (regular spraying, pruning of affected tops). But you can pick up such high-yielding varieties that you will provide yourself and all your relatives with wonderful potatoes until the beginning of summer.
Late varieties are also demanding to care for, usually such potatoes are harvested before the end of September. They are not recommended to be planted in the south, since the plants suffer greatly from drought and when the heat comes, they try to withstand a dormant period without growing tubers. Depending on the variety, the yield is high; tubers are subject to long-term storage.
Naturally, if you are deciding for the first time which variety of potatoes to choose for planting, you need to look at many photos, read the descriptions. Perhaps you will choose a new variety for our latitudes with colored pulp. In the West and the American continent, they love varieties with cranberry pulp, beetroot, blue, purple, and so on.
Our consciousness is still accustomed to cream, yellow and occasionally pinkish colors of the pulp. Perhaps this is temporary. Indeed, the colored pulp contains many useful substances.
We've looked at several varieties. There are many more. Famous Dutch Condor, Picasso, Courage, Romano, Carrera and Sante, which taste good and have a long shelf life. Dutch early Ariel, Riviera, Prior, Red Scarlett, Estima manage to give a gorgeous harvest before being hit by late blight. Remember that an accurate conclusion can only be drawn from experience multiplied by the desire to get the result. It is possible to understand which varieties of potatoes in the photo are better only on the basis of practice.