It would seem that what could be easier than growing a useful, beautiful onion on your garden plot, or even just on the windowsill? But it turns out that in order to get a decent harvest, planting and caring for onions must be correct.
In order to get a large turnip head, it is best to plant onion sets. These are small splinters, 1.5-2 cm in diameter. Of course, onions can also be grown from seeds. For this, onion seeds are planted the first year, receiving onion sets in the form of a crop. And in the second year they are already planting sevok. But, unfortunately, it is very difficult to store onion sets at home. This requires strict adherence to temperature and humidity conditions. That is why it is preferable to grow turnip onions from small bulbs - sevka.
Before planting, sort the onion sets, removing rotten, dried onions. If you want to get a good harvest, then do not be lazy before planting onions on a turnip, process the planting material as follows:
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon of complex fertilizer in 10 liters of water
- Tie the sorted bulbs in a rag bag
- put the bag of bulbs in a container with a well-dissolved fertilizer
- leave the onion sets in the solution overnight
- in the morning you need to drain the solution and pour the onions with a new solution: 1 teaspoon of copper sulfate per 10 liters of water
- soak the bulbs in a solution of copper sulfate for 10 minutes
- rinse the planting material in running water
Such processing guarantees long-term protection of the onion from fungal diseases and rotting.
The soil for planting onion sets should be loamy, saturated with mineral fertilizers. It is best to choose a sunny and dry place for planting. But do not forget that the onion sets love water, and therefore it is necessary to water it regularly - once a week.