Summer residents who cannot permanently live in a suburban area have to invent different options for using improvised means to systematically provide plants with water. Take at least watering cucumbers through plastic bottles: organizing such an option will not require financial costs, but it will bring considerable benefits.
- What are the benefits of using plastic bottles
- Are there any disadvantages
- What types of plastic irrigation are used
- Secrets of watering cucumbers from experienced vegetable growers
What are the benefits of using plastic bottles
Watering cucumbers through plastic bottles is a good low budget option for organizing drip irrigation in a greenhouse or open field, especially if the summer is dry and there is no way to visit the garden every day.
Let's take a closer look at the advantages of drip irrigation from bottles:
- availability of materials;
- you can handle the assembly of the system on your own;
- saving money and time, filling containers with water is not a difficult task;
- the ability to leave the garden for several days unattended and not be afraid that the cucumber beds will dry out;
- the supply of moisture to the root system is carried out slowly, evenly, while the roots are not washed out;
- the surface of the earth with such irrigation is not moistened, weed seeds germinate slowly, the soil is not compacted. If mulching of the beds is used, then they do not need to be loosened;
- in a greenhouse, evaporation of moisture from the soil is minimal, the chance of avoiding the development of fungal diseases is significantly increased;
- in the absence of a centralized water supply on the site, bottle irrigation allows you to get considerable water savings. But when using water from the water supply system, if a meter is installed in the house, there will not be much savings;
- watering will always be carried out with heated water, which is very important for cucumbers;
- the bottle watering system is very easy to install; it takes a little time to replace damaged containers;
- it is possible to regulate the amount of water introduced, for this you will need to make additional holes.
Are there any disadvantages
The option of watering cucumbers through plastic bottles still has some disadvantages:
- organizing such an irrigation system over a large area is impractical;
- plastic irrigation, most likely, can be considered temporary; it is not recommended to refuse high-quality irrigation with a large amount of water;
- the use of such irrigation can be difficult on heavy clay soils, the holes in the tanks will often be clogged.
What types of plastic irrigation are used
Watering cucumbers through plastic bottles in the open field or in greenhouses are far from identical concepts. Therefore, choosing the appropriate method for introducing moisture should be taking into account the requirements for the growing conditions of the vegetable crop.
To choose an option, you should be familiar with the varieties of plastic irrigation, it may suggest:
- dropping in bottles;
- installation of containers near plants;
- fixing flasks on suspended structures;
- the use of devices that allow metered water supply.
Let us consider in detail several options for organizing an irrigation system.
It is fashionable to use for greenhouses and open ground. We are preparing a bottle: at a height of 3-4 cm from the bottom, we pierce holes, it is convenient to do this with a heated awl or a thick needle.
The number of holes will need to be determined independently, the denser the soil in the area, the more holes will be required. A prepared bottle is dug into the ground with honey bushes to a shallow depth.
Water is poured into the bottle. If a cover is used, a hole must be made in it to allow air to enter. But you don't have to close the flasks.
If the soil is too wet, the bottle will have to be replaced with another one with fewer holes, but if it is too dry, more holes will have to be made.
Let's watch an interesting video about watering cucumbers through plastic bottles:
It differs from I in that the holes are made near the neck of the bottle, and the bottom is cut off. Having tightened the cork, the bottle is dug in directly next to the bush with the neck down. Then water is poured into it. The irrigation system is ready. To prevent active evaporation of moisture, it is recommended to cover the cut bottom of the flask, you can use the same bottom, but upside down.
If the soil is very dense, then the holes can not be made, it will be enough to tightly close the neck with a piece of foam rubber, but this option will not work for sandy soil, the water will run away instantly.
Owners who cannot appear in the country more often than once a week can use the option of irrigation with a 5 or 10 liter capacity. Holes in such a container are pierced along one side, in a checkerboard pattern, in several rows along its entire height. A hole is cut on the opposite side of such a size that it is convenient to pour water.
The flask is deepened into the ground between the bushes, lying down, the small holes should be at the bottom. Due to the larger container capacity, the period of automatic irrigation will stretch for several days.
Watering cucumbers in a greenhouse through plastic bottles can be organized in the following way:
- constructing structures on which flasks of water will be placed, directly above the cucumber bushes;
- small holes are made near the neck, but you can just tighten the lid loosely, the water should slowly drip;
- the filled containers are suspended;
- the dripping water should fall close to the cucumber stalk.
The advantages of the method are that the water does not erode the soil near the roots. Difficulties - in the need to install supports. You also need to make sure that no water droplets fall on the leaves - in sunny weather this can cause burns. This situation can be avoided by hanging containers at a low height above the ground.
In the same way, you can provide watering of cucumbers through plastic bottles, provided that the plants are grown in a barrel.
To moisten the soil, you can use ordinary plastic 2-liter containers, or 5-10 liter containers if you want to extend the life of the irrigation system up to a week.
The holes should be made very small, from 1 to 1.5 mm, so that the water does not go away too quickly.
To exclude the possibility of soil getting into the flasks, you can wrap them with old bags, non-woven fabric or just nylon stockings.
When calculating the number of containers for watering one bush, you should consider:
how often you can visit the garden;
density and composition of the soil.
It should also be borne in mind that during the period of growth for one bush of cucumbers, from 3 to 4 liters of water per week will be required, during the period of flowering and the formation of ovaries - up to 6-7 liters.
If the air temperature is too high, it is better to add water for fruit-bearing plants every three days, the recommended volume for a week is 1 liter.
During the period of rainfall, the amount of irrigation is reduced.
Since moisture evaporation occurs more actively in a greenhouse, more water is required for irrigation.
It is recommended to install the flasks immediately after sowing the seeds, as long as there is no threat of damage to the roots. Containers with liquid are placed at a distance of 15 cm from the bush, sealed to a depth of 10 to 15 cm. It makes no sense to bury the bottles deeper, the roots of cucumbers are located near the surface of the soil.
Let's watch a video with useful tips for organizing drip irrigation:
Watering cucumbers through plastic bottles is a good idea to make the work of amateur vegetable growers easier, the drip version of soil moistening can be used in beds and greenhouses