Saffron is a very beautiful, delicate flower that has been known for its beneficial properties and culinary qualities for a long time. Growing saffron requires certain agronomic skills, but you still need to know some rules for caring for it.
- Saffron, plant description and photo
- Varieties where it grows
- Useful properties, what is the value of the plant
- Growing saffron: when to plant tubers, care recommendations
- Pest and disease control
- When to dig up the bulbs
- Growing saffron as a business
- Decorative saffron
- Growing saffron crocus indoors
Saffron, plant description and photo
The plant has a second, more common name - crocus.
Description of culture:
- The plant belongs to the Iris family.
- Tuber-bulbous culture. The diameter of the bulb is no more than three centimeters. The shape is flattened, rounded.
- The stem is poorly developed. Leaves are erect, linear shape. Foliage usually grows before flowering and after the buds have wither.
- Inflorescences are solitary, elongated, half-open, up to eight centimeters high. One bulb grows from two to three buds.
By color, crocuses are divided into two types:
- blue-flowered, in this case, the color palette ranges from lilac to purple;
- yellow-flowered, there is a color from pale yellow to bright red.
Purple crocuses are more common among us.
The saffron fruit is a three-nest box, it contains small seeds.
The provided photo clearly shows the tenderness and lightness of the flower.
Varieties where it grows
There are up to eighty species and about 300 varieties around the world. The plant is perennial, widespread in Asian and European countries, grows in meadows and steppes.
Crocuses are less common in nature, so they are grown independently for industrial purposes, especially in Iran, Spain and India.
All types are divided into two classes:
The most common varieties are:
- Crocus vernus or Spring: Pallas, Jubilee, Pickwick, Agnes;
- Saffron Golden: Beauty Cream, Blue Bonnet;
- Crocus the Beautiful: Cassiope, Albus, Pallux;
- Sage Thomasin (varieties: Ruby Giant, Bare People;
- Crocus biflorus or Two-flowered;
- Sage Banat;
- Crocus Narrow-leaved;
- Crocus Korolkov;
- Saffron Striped.
These plants grow well in a summer cottage or in flowerpots in indoor conditions.
Useful properties, what is the value of the plant
Dried saffron flowers are often used in cooking.
This spice is considered the most expensive and refined, it has a pleasant bitter-sweet taste. It is used for vegetables, meat and even dessert.
This culture has healing properties, it is used to treat the following diseases:
- liver failure;
- respiratory tract diseases;
- in violation of the activity of the central nervous system;
- with the formation of acne;
- with depression;
- in case of malfunctions in the digestive tract.
However, in everything you need to know when to stop, especially since the spice is very expensive.
Let's watch a video about the benefits of saffron, as well as learn about the benefits that can be obtained from selling it:
Growing saffron: when to plant tubers, care recommendations
A plant belonging to the class of spring is planted closer to September-October. The hole depth is five to ten centimeters.
The autumn crocus species is planted in late July or early August, and until September. In this case, the depth of the hole is eight to ten centimeters. In both cases, the planting is carried out at a distance of ten centimeters from each other. A sunny area is used, partial shade is allowed.
- Moderate watering.
- Fertilizing, at first, decomposed humus is used as a top dressing, and then mineral supplements are regularly introduced.
- The plant is propagated by planting every 3-5 years.
Let's watch a useful video about planting and growing saffron:
Pest and disease control
Crocuses eat slugs, moles, caterpillars and mice. It is necessary to treat the slugs with special substances, you can get rid of the caterpillars by collecting the larval pupae in early spring, and to avoid the attack of mice, planting is carried out away from the sod.
The plant suffers from viral and fungal diseases.
For prevention, the bulbs are treated with Fundazol, in case of infection, the tubers are burned.
When to dig up saffron bulbs
The bulbs are excavated during the dormant period. This usually falls in mid-June, perhaps a little later.
Gardeners recommend carrying out such a manipulation every year in order to notice weak or diseased tubers in time.
The collected material is stored in the basement.
Growing saffron as a business
For your own business, saffron is an ideal option, because it is the most expensive spice in the world, taking into account that the costs of growing a crop are minimal.
The wholesale price ranges from four hundred and fifty to seven hundred dollars per kilogram.
One kilogram of stigmas, which, in fact, are a valuable raw material, can be collected from seventy thousand flowers. It will be possible to collect up to twenty kilograms on one hectare of land.
The more land, the better it is for the owner - the profit will be greater. In addition, profit can be obtained from the sale of planting material.
Consider a few more decorative varieties:
Consider a few more decorative varieties, for convenience we will indicate them in the table.
|Variety name||Description and features|
Perianth diameter 4 centimeters.
Peduncle up to 10 centimeters high.
The blossom is purple or yellow.
The flowering period is in early April.
Stem height up to twenty centimeters.
Shade of buds: lilac, purple or white.
Dissolves in March-April
The peduncle is six centimeters high.
The blossom is orange, golden, there are purple stripes.
Bloom is observed in April
Growing saffron crocus indoors
Crocus grows well at home.
There are a couple of nuances:
- Use quality seeds.
- Place the pot on the south side of the house.
- Observe the temperature regime (plus 18, plus 20 degrees).
- At the same time, up to ten bulbs can be planted in a pot, with this in mind, it is worth choosing the appropriate size and depth of the flowerpot.
- Water and feed the flower in a timely manner.
Provided all recommendations are followed, there should be no problems with crocus cultivation.
So, saffron is a flower that pleases not only with its beauty, but is also a good option for business.
Another advantage of the flower is the simple rules for growing and further care.