Both adults and children love to eat apples. Many people choose to grow this fruit on their own in order to preserve its beneficial qualities as much as possible.
The Jonathan apple tree is very popular due to its aroma and taste.
Even a beginner will be able to cope with her agricultural technology, since no special skills are required during planting and leaving.
- Apple tree Jonathan, description and photo
- Where to buy, how to choose a quality seedling
- Landing rules, where is it better to plant
- Seedling care
- Growing, frost resistance
- Pruning features
- Productivity, what determines whether pollinators are needed for the apple tree Jonathan
- How to store Jonathan apples
- Apple tree reviews Jonathan
Apple tree Jonathan, description and photo
An apple tree was brought in from the west, bred with the improvement of the Aesop Spitzenburg variety. This species also has the name Oslamov apple or winter Horoshavka. The variety is wintry.
Description of the tree:
- It has a round, wide crown and a low trunk.
- The branches are large, constantly stretching upward. If the tree is old and there are a lot of fruits, then the branches can break off and fall from the weight.
- Young seedlings have a pleasant brown color and curly foliage along the edges. The leaves are oval, there is a thick fluff and a silvery bloom.
- The variety is considered a winter variety, since the harvest is harvested in mid-autumn.
- Poor frost resistance.
- Fruiting is high with proper care. The first fruits appear in the fourth or fifth year of life.
The species is grown in the middle and southern parts of the Russian Federation and Ukraine.
The tree is attacked by scab and powdery mildew, constantly needs preventive procedures, otherwise it may die.
Description of the fruit:
- The apple shape is conical or round.
- The fruits are large, weighing up to one hundred and fifty grams.
- The skin is smooth, in rare cases there is a slight ribbing near the base.
- When ripe, the apple is dark red with a raspberry blush.
- Inside, white flesh is unripe, light brown when the fruit is fully ripe.
- The pulp is juicy but firm.
- The taste is sweet with a slight but pleasant sourness.
- Can be stored until April under the right conditions.
A more detailed description of the Jonathan apple tree is on the video:
Where to buy, how to choose a quality seedling
You need to buy young shoots in special garden stores or nurseries. Such trees are not bought on the market, since there is a high probability of purchasing the wrong kind of apple tree.
In stores, a sales assistant will answer all your questions and provide a quality product. They also buy seedlings through online stores, but the site must have the necessary certificates.
It is important to acquire a seedling young.
The following distinctive features must be present:
- Leaves are missing on young shoots.
- Age can be determined by the number of branches. If there is only one branch, then the tree is a year old, if several, then a couple of years.
- A healthy root system should be moist and free from rot and other defects.
- A graft must be present at a distance of seven centimeters from the root.
- The height of the seedling is no more than one and a half meters.
If the seedling meets all the specified parameters, then it is of high quality and will bring a good harvest in a few years.
Landing rules, where is it better to plant
Planting seedlings must be approached competently, observing all the necessary rules:
- First you need to find the right site. The Jonathan apple tree is a thermophilic plant, so the area should be lit and sunny, it is important to avoid shade.
- Loam and sandy loam are well suited as soil. It is important that the land is not depleted, in which case no mineral additives and fertilizers can increase the yield.
- Planting can be carried out both in spring and autumn (September-October or April). After planting in the spring, the plant tolerates winter frosts better, since its root system has time to strengthen. If planted in the fall, then closer to spring the tree will grow more, there is a chance to see the fruits earlier.
- After choosing a site, the process of planting a seedling begins. It is necessary to dig a hole one meter wide and 0.7 meters deep. Pour in nutritious organic matter and mix it with ordinary earth (the mass should take up one third of the hole). Now you need to hammer in the peg for the tree, it will create a support. The tree is carefully inserted and sprinkled with soil, lightly tamped.
- Pour the seedling with two buckets of water (it will take about 20-24 liters).
Mulching must be carried out near the trunk.
The landing procedure is complete.
Care is needed in moderation, everything is as usual:
- disease prevention;
- soil mulching.
Watering should be regular, avoid excessive moisture, this can lead to rotting of the root system.
For the prevention of fungus, bardic liquid is used, it is important to collect fallen leaves, which contributes to the reproduction of parasites.
At the beginning of November and at the end of March, fertilizing with organic substances is carried out. Humus or manure is suitable to reduce its concentration, the product is diluted with water. When ovaries begin to form and fruits appear, nitrogen-based fertilizers are applied. Such feeding will speed up the ripening process and increase fruiting.
A properly fertilized tree will more easily endure frosts in winter, and will not be exposed to diseases.
The Jonathan variety is easily infected with powdery mildew, so chemical spraying is carried out annually in the spring. Correct trimming of the crown serves as protection.
If you follow these recommendations, the plant will be healthy and the harvest will be plentiful.
Growing, frost resistance
During the growing process, it is important to make sure that the climate is suitable for the plant in all parameters. It is desirable that it be mild in winter, so that the temperature does not drop below 15 degrees. In cases of severe frost, the apple tree will suffer.
On the territory of Russia and Ukraine, there are cold winters, so you can insulate the tree in advance. For insulation, spruce branches or other material is used that retains heat and allows the trunk to breathe. In this case, the apple tree will not suffer, but the harvest will be a little later than in a warm region.
Growing an apple tree next to grapes is not encouraged, as this promotes the spread of the fungus. If the territory is small and it is not possible to plant them separately, then during the treatment with antifungal agents, manipulations must be carried out throughout the garden at the same time.
All fruit trees need regular pruning. The procedure is necessary to remove the growth of young shoots, eliminate thickening and to renew the crown. Excessive twigs contribute to the formation of small fruits.
After purchasing a seedling, pruning is carried out a couple of years after planting. Pruning is carried out to create a beautiful shape, and sanitary pruning is carried out to remove damaged or young branches. The owner can choose the shape, taking into account his own preferences, for example, in the shape of a spindle, bowl or in several tiers.
Anti-aging pruning is performed on old trees.
This manipulation is very important for good yields, so if it is not possible to perform the procedure correctly, it is better to hire a professional.
Let's watch an interesting video about pruning apple trees:
Productivity, what determines whether pollinators are needed for the apple tree Jonathan
The first crop can be harvested in the fourth or fifth year after planting. If the tree is planted in the shade, due to a lack of light, the fruiting period will not come soon.
The yield of a young tree is from eighteen to twenty kilograms per season.
The yield of an adult tree is forty to eighty-five kilograms.
If there is no pollination, fruiting will deteriorate. It is important to plant other varieties of apples together with Jonathan, for example: seed, melba, idared, mequintosh and welsey. When it is not possible to plant these trees, grafting is carried out.
Gardeners tried another method, tied to the crown of the flowering branches of a different variety, along with a container filled with water.
How to store Jonathan apples
Apples are harvested from September to October. To keep fruits until spring, special pallets are used and the required storage temperature is created, + 2 ... + 3 degrees.
If the fruits are lowered into the cellar, after a while spots and friability will appear on the peel, the apple will acquire a bitter taste.
Therefore, it is best to put apples in a large refrigerator using special trays. It is necessary to moisten the pallets before this. Thanks to this storage, apples will retain their firmness and juiciness until May.
If unripe fruits were picked during the harvest period, storage on pallets in a cool room or cellar is allowed. The lower the temperature, the longer the maturation and storage process.
Apple tree reviews Jonathan
Reviews of the variety are often positive from both amateurs and professionals. Here is some of them.
Rostislav informs: The apple tree Jonathan is one of the five best apple varieties. At first, for several years, I bought fruits at the market and in stores, then I decided to plant seedlings in my garden. Four years later, he harvested the first crop. I am satisfied, for how many years I have been collecting up to 4 winds of fruits annually, I manage to keep the fruits well until spring. The trees were not exposed to any diseases. Very pleasant aroma and sweet taste, we eat and treat our friends.
Konstantin, amateur gardener: This variety cannot be confused with any other, thanks to its taste. However, special skills are required during the growing process. Every year I treat the apple tree with fungicides against insect attacks. Needs light and care, like the rest of the trees in the garden. We collect at least eight buckets, enough for the whole winter.
Regina, a summer resident, shares the problems she faced: For a long time you heard a lot of good things about the Jonathan apples and gave in to this opinion. I can safely say that we were not mistaken with the choice. The fruits are very tasty, high yield. But I didn't like that the tree is very tall and needs constant pruning. Until the top of the head was cut off, there were no normal fruits, in one season no more than 20 pieces, and even then, very small. After pruning, everything returned to normal, we treat the apple tree with fungicides.
Nadezhda writes on the gardeners forum: In our garden, such an apple tree has been bearing fruit for 20 years. To enhance the taste and juiciness, after harvesting, let the fruit lie down for a while. The variety is unpretentious, needs constant light and sun. Among apples, it has the highest taste. You need to be patient and wait for the fruit to turn bright red. The whole family is happy.
So, the Jonathan apple tree is the most delicious variety among its family. If, initially, during the planting period, all the actions are performed correctly, and in the future, cut and feed the tree in time, then there will be no problems with yield.