An unpretentious and widespread plant native to Indonesia - ficus Melanie, which does not require much effort to care for, will decorate any interior.
A small tree managed to conquer the hearts of many gardeners precisely because of its unpretentiousness and aesthetics.
- Description of the plant
- How high does the ficus Melanie reach?
- Ficus Melanie: home care
- Ficus Melanie, breeding features, propagation by cuttings
- Common Ficus Melanie Diseases
- What are the signs associated with Melanie's ficus
Description of the plant
Melanie belongs to the rubbery ficuses, differs from its relatives in appearance. This is not a tree, but rather a shrub that compares favorably with a compact crown, easily tolerates pruning. Small size allows you to place the bush not only on the floor, in specially designated areas, but also on the windowsill.
Other features include:
- The direction of growth of branches is not upward, as in relatives, but to the sides, which determined its similarity with a shrub;
- The leaves are dense in structure, elongated with a sharp tip, which is slightly bent downward. In length they can reach fifteen centimeters, in width - seven;
- The outer side of the leaf is glossy, juicy green, sometimes the shade can be darker. The inner part is lighter, dull and distinguished by the presence of red veins;
- The distance between the cuttings of each next leaf is, on average, a few centimeters;
- In indoor conditions it blooms very rarely. In the wild, you can see rather unremarkable flowers of pale shades, which are pollinated only by certain types of insects.
Melanie belongs to fruiting plants, but does not carry any nutritional value for humans. The fruits are small, no more than a centimeter in diameter and look like tiny figs.
A rather remarkable plant is not demanding; even a novice gardener can take care of it.
Abundant branching opens up wide spaces for the imagination of lovers of original crowns.
How high does the ficus Melanie reach?
Like many other plants, in the wild, it can reach a height of thirty meters. At the same time, the ficus ceases to be just a "tree"; it is already a real tree, which begins to form aerial roots with age.
In the homeland of the plant, these aerial roots, which are distinguished by a special density, are used to build suspension bridges, which are not only able to withstand the weight of fifty people, but are also constantly renewed in a natural way, they do not need to be replaced.
Melanie in room conditions does not reach such a huge size.
The height varies from fifty centimeters to a meter, depending on the conditions of care, the frequency of pruning, the conditions in which the tree grows.
Ficus Melanie: home care
As already mentioned, the plant is not particularly whimsical. However, it is not recommended to treat this too carelessly. Caring for Melanie comes down to regular watering, systematic fertilization, annual pruning and replanting.
In addition, it is recommended to follow some rules:
- The frequency of watering should be adjusted depending on the level of humidity and temperature in the room, the season, lighting and the characteristics of the substrate. It is recommended to navigate precisely by the state of the latter. The plant needs watering when the soil is completely dry or slightly damp. It is quite simple to check this, just stick your finger in the pot and, if there is sticky earth on it, water it early. If the soil turns out to be too dry, crumbly, or, on the contrary, hardened, it's time to moisten it. In the summer, it is recommended to pour in water several times, so that it begins to accumulate on the sump. After half an hour it drains off it is worth draining the excess. In winter, watering should be moderate; excessive moisture at low temperatures can destroy the tree;
- Along with watering, it is important not to forget about the need for systematic spraying of the leaves. It should be produced when the air is dry during winter heating and summer heat. In this case, it is worth using exclusively water at room temperature, which was allowed to settle;
- It is recommended to apply fertilizers twice a month in summer and once in winter. At the same time, it is important to take into account that top dressing is worth the day when the plant was watered, or the next, so that the soil is moistened. It is recommended to choose liquid fertilizers and not fertilize for a month after the tree is transplanted. If this rule is neglected, there is a danger of damaging the roots, since there are enough useful compounds in fresh soil and without fertilizers. An excess of them can negatively affect the well-being of the plant.
Systematic watering and regular fertilization is the key to rapid growth. Compliance with the simple rules of care will not take much time, but it will provide the result.
Let's watch a video about the proper care of Melanie's ficus at home:
Ficus Melanie, breeding features, propagation by cuttings
There are two options for breeding trees.
Depending on personal preferences, you can choose a planting by cuttings - for this it is recommended to cut off a sufficiently strong apical, or a lateral shoot so that at least three leaves remain on it.
Places of cuts do not need to be sprinkled with charcoal; it is recommended to immediately place the cuttings in water to drain excess juice. The next day, the water needs to be changed and the jar with cuttings covered with polyethylene to simulate greenhouse conditions.
To speed up the process of root growth, a growth stimulant can be added to the water. After the formation of the first roots, the cuttings must be transplanted into a pot with a substrate.
Air layering - This method is not suitable for beginners, in order for the planting to be successful, you need certain skills in gardening.
To begin with, it is recommended to cut the stem into a third, so that the incision comes out oblique, insert a match into the incision site, which will prevent the incision from growing together. Wrap peat and a bag on top, wait until roots form, after they appear - cut off the seedling just below the incision line and plant it in the prepared substrate.
When choosing a seating method, it is important to consider how a skilled gardener gets down to business. For a start, you should not risk it, it is better to plant the ficus with cuttings.
Formative pruning is recommended in February or March. When pruning, it is important not to cut the top of the branches below five internodes. This is quite enough for the bush to activate tillering and acquire a more lush and voluminous appearance.
When pruning, it is important to keep in mind that ficus is a poisonous species. If its juice gets on open skin, burns may develop, therefore, it is necessary to trim it exclusively with gloves.
Systematic pruning will allow you to form a beautiful crown and maintain its condition without much difficulty.
Common Ficus Melanie Diseases
Despite the fact that ficuses are quite undemanding plants, like many other indoor beauties, they can also get sick or suffer from attacks of harmful insects.
The most common illnesses include:
- The formation of brown spots on the foliage is a direct indication of an excess of nutrients or sunburn;
- Falling foliage that develops as a result of insufficient watering or lighting. Temperature fluctuations and a draft in the room can lead to this. To fix the problem, it is recommended to eliminate the annoying factor;
- Yellowing of leaves is the first signal of improper care. One of the reasons is considered to be an oversupply of fertilizers, in order to correct this problem, it is recommended to increase the frequency of watering and not apply top dressing for several months. Another reason may be increased salinity of the substrate or root decay. The latter is caused by an abundance of moisture; in order to fix the problem, you need to remove the damaged areas. Another reason for yellowness is a pot that is too wide - it is enough to transplant the ficus into a smaller container and the problem will be solved;
- Growth inhibition, which develops with too small capacity, lack of light and fertilizers.
Another problem that Melanie suffers from is parasites. Improper care, the acquisition of a new plant for the collection can negatively affect the condition of the flower.
The main parasites that Melanie suffers from are the following.
|Shields||Small insects that feed on sap, biting stems and leaves. As a result, the plant withers, dries up and may even die. To get rid of parasites, it is recommended to wipe the leaves with soapy water. If this does not help, use a special drug such as "Actellic"|
|Spider mite||Find out what he attacked by the characteristic cobwebs. The cause of damage to the tree by this parasite is usually too dry air in the room. To get rid of it, it is recommended to increase the frequency of spraying and from time to time wipe the leaves with a damp cloth.|
|Thrips||When these parasites are infected, first of all, it is necessary to remove the affected plants from the rest in order to reduce the risk of spreading insects. Rinse the affected trees under the shower, transplant into a new container, after thoroughly washing the pot with soap|
Failure to comply with the rules of care, a lack or vice versa, an overabundance of watering and dressing negatively affects the condition of the plant and it is important to take this into account. If the trees are still damaged, do not panic, at the initial stage everything can be corrected.
What are the signs associated with Melanie's ficus
There are many signs associated with figs. There are good and bad, but the former prevail.
- Ficus in the house is able to improve the emotional state of a person, to calm him down;
- Like Crassula, this tree is capable of attracting financial energy;
- For people who suffer from fuzzy speech - Melanie is the best helper;
- If you are actively looking for a second half, be sure to put this tree on the window.
In addition to the fact that this flower carries light energy, it is distinguished by its special aesthetics and can decorate any room.
Ficus Melanie - differs in unpretentiousness and endurance. Subject to the rules of care, it will not bring much trouble and will delight you with fresh foliage for a long time.
For even more useful tips for caring for a plant, see the video: