Today, there are more than one hundred and thirty varieties of cherries. Sandy, common, steppe, felt, it seems, is quite enough for choosing a variety with the most delicious fruits and resistant to diseases.
New varieties appear with constant regularity. One of the most interesting, the fruits of which have an unusual taste, is the Carmine Jewel cherry.
The article will tell you about the Carmine Jewel cherry variety, where to buy, how to plant a seedling correctly, about the advantages and disadvantages of this type of cherry.
- Description of the variety
- Landing rules
- Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Description of the variety
The Carmine Jewel variety was created by Canadian scientists at the University of Saskatchewan for climatic zones with special conditions. Having crossed an ordinary and a steppe, in 1999, scientists have grown the first plant. The variety has been studied for a couple of years. It was introduced for production in 2002.
It was created to grow in a zone of harsh continental climatic conditions. Only in such conditions will he fully reveal his taste and give a high yield.
The plant reaches a height of about two meters. For this reason, it is more commonly referred to as a bush. This feature provides ease of maintenance and harvesting.
The plant easily tolerates winter frosts up to forty degrees.
This variety is self-fertile, so that fruits are formed, another variety is not needed at all for pollination. Almost 40% of the flowers become fruit. This does not require the participation of pollinating insects.
The amount of ovary is directly dependent on weather conditions. In different years, it can fluctuate.
After planting the seedling in a permanent place, the taste of the crop can be assessed already in the third year. The maximum fruiting occurs from the age of 7.
Cherries of this variety, in a cool place, retain their freshness for up to three weeks.
They are juicy and large - the weight of one berry is up to 3.5 grams. The color gradually changes depending on the degree of ripening of the fruit. Berries with a ruby color are eaten early.
Fully ripe fruits have a dark burgundy color, almost black.
The taste of the fruit cannot be compared with ordinary cherries or plums. There is no astringency in them, but a sugary sweetness is present. The sugar content in fruits reaches up to 14%. The fruits have small seeds and are rather large in size.
Fruit ripening takes quite a long time: from the second half of July to the first half of August. During this period, the taste of the berries changes. Only by the time of harvesting do the fruits gain sufficient sweetness.
From a bush, you can collect up to 15 kilograms of delicious juicy fruits. After ripening, they remain on the branches. They can stay there until late autumn.
Berries are used fresh, stewed fruit, jam, frozen. The variety is highly resistant to pests and diseases.
Precious Carmine is a new cherry variety and is not easy to find for grafting cuttings. It is easier to buy a plant in a nursery. This variety can be planted in regions where there are night temperature drops in the middle of summer - hot during the day and cool at night.
Due to the temperature difference, the fruits accumulate sugar. In regions where there are no drops, the berries may remain sour.
Loamy soils are suitable for the plant. When planting plants in rows, the distance between trees in a row should be at least one meter, and between rows - one hundred and fifty centimeters. The row spacings are expanded to five meters if it is planned to harvest with special combines.
To plant a seedling correctly, you need:
- thoroughly fertilize the soil before planting the plant. The pits are prepared 14 days before planting the trees. Fertilizers are poured into them and left, then trees are planted;
- if the root system of the seedling is closed, the pit should be of a standard size: one hundred centimeters deep and one hundred centimeters in diameter. The earth will be loose, which will enable the roots to develop quickly and efficiently;
- the seedling is transferred into a pit, covered with soil mixed with fertilizers, pressed down;
- having filled the hole, a side is formed from the ground, which will not allow water to spread and keep it inside the trunk circle;
- sprinkle with peat, a layer of cut grass or rotted manure.
After planting, the tree needs to be watered once every seven days. It is possible every other day, if there is such an opportunity. You need to pour at least a bucket of water under each plant. Adequate water is essential after planting for the first three years.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Cherry variety Precious Carmine has caused a variety of reviews on horticultural forums: some are satisfied with the variety, others doubt the promised quality of the fruit. But after all, nothing is absolutely perfect, and this sort of Precious Carmine cherry has its advantages and disadvantages.
This variety has a lot of positive qualities:
- bears fruit in the third year;
- drought resistant;
- has a high yield;
- differs in frost resistance;
- fruits retain their commercial qualities for a long time;
- the variety is resistant to pests and diseases;
- an adult plant has a small height, which provides convenience and speed when harvesting;
- berries taste great;
- you can plant only one tree - this becomes possible due to the self-fertility of the variety;
- the crop can be used for a variety of purposes.
No matter how wonderful everything is, there is still a fly in the ointment:
- the real yield will become known only in the seventh year - this does not make it possible to quickly recoup the costs with a large garden;
- it is impossible to transport fruits over long distances;
- long ripening of the crop;
- the yield will be high and of high quality only if certain climatic conditions are observed, for this reason the versatility of the variety drops significantly.
The tree will feel great in the continental climatic zone, but when planted in close proximity to the sea or a large lake, it will affect the yield, and taking into account that in the first 4-5 years you will have to collect only a few kilograms of harvest from one plant - plant a lot of trees are just not profitable.
You will learn more about the variety by watching the video: