Varieties of rosebud pelargoniums are adorned with double flowers whose appearance resembles roses. The decorativeness of the presented hybrids just rolls over, lush inflorescences look like miniature bouquets of small roses.
The article will acquaint you with rosaceous pelargoniums, breeding methods, with several varieties of this plant, which can become the pearl of a winter garden.
- Reproduction methods
- Varieties of rosebud pelargonium
All types of this plant are distinguished by rapid growth, long and abundant flowering, pleasant, slightly spicy foliage aroma, which, in addition to everything, also repels insects.
The most widespread are the plants described below.
It is a herbaceous dwarf shrub, growing to almost a meter in height, with partially colored, slightly fluffy leaves of a decorative shape and sessile flowers, collected in lush umbrellas.
These species received this name because of the color of the leaf plate. Depending on the variety, it changes, has contrastingly colored edges. Plants, when planted in a street flower bed, delight with their flowering all summer until late autumn.
Before the onset of cold weather, it is dug up and cut off. Store in a bright room at a temperature of about 14 degrees Celsius.
Her bush has a compact structure. Umbrellas with flowers of these species rise slightly above the leaves. Not infrequently, during flowering, foliage is hidden by blossoming buds. The bush looks like a blooming ball.
These are large-flowered species - their inflorescences are sometimes up to 14 centimeters in diameter. Flowers have a variety of shapes and colors. They often combine two or more colors. The leaf plate is rough with serrated edges.
Wonderfully decorate the hanging garden, terrace, balcony, any outdoor area. The impressive appearance of ampelous varieties is given by their long, up to one meter, flexible stems with smooth five-lobed motley or green leaves.
A vivid representative of this species is the ivy-leaved pelargonium, which received this name for its resemblance to ivy. Its flowers are star-shaped, located on rather long peduncles, which are collected in umbrellas about 9 centimeters in diameter.
Pelargoniums bloom in both simple and double flowers. They have a wide range of colors from white to purple. It is not uncommon for flowers to have a two-color or fragmented color, corrugated or wavy petals. It all depends on the variety.
Geranium appleblossom and more can be grown from seeds:
- the plant has large enough seeds. They need to be planted each in a separate glass;
- the seeds must be buried by 0.5-1 centimeters;
- to save space, seeds can be planted in containers and then dived. With this method of planting, the distance between the seeds should be at least two centimeters;
- suitable soil of a universal type, intended for indoor crops;
- it is recommended to place the seeds in a growth stimulator for a couple of hours before planting, which will help the seeds to sprout faster and give friendly shoots;
- germination of seedlings requires good lighting and a comfortable temperature - 20-22 degrees.
The emerging seedlings need to be watered from time to time, and the temperature in the room where they are located should be the same as when germinating the seeds. After the appearance of 2-3 true leaves, the seedlings must be transplanted.
There is an opinion that the pelargonium grown from the seed will delight you with lush flowering, throwing out up to thirty buds.
Seedlings are planted in a permanent pot when they become almost 12 centimeters high.
In addition, appleblossom pelargonium can be grown by rooting cuttings:
- reproduction in this way is carried out in March;
- take cuttings about seven centimeters long so that they have 3-2 internodes;
- treat the cut of the cutting with crushed activated carbon;
- if you take land from a personal plot, it requires disinfection;
- plant the cuttings in a moist substrate;
- cover the handle with a jar or a cut plastic bottle;
- to prevent rotting of cuttings, they cannot be overheated, the temperature should be about 23 degrees;
- water the soil sparingly;
- after 1.5-3 weeks, the cutting will take root.
And you can also put the stalk in water, only then, when it gives the roots to plant in a pot.
Varieties of rosebud pelargonium
Exotica Appleblossom Rosebund cultivar
A kind of rosaceous umbellate pelargonium.
Differs in sufficient compactness of the bushes, blooms with large, dense inflorescences, does not fade for a long time. The shape of the flowers is reminiscent of roses. The flowers are delicately creamy in color with a slight pale pink blush.
Horizon Star variety
Refers to zonal pelargonium.
The bush is compact. A hybrid with large, simple flowers, the diameter of which is about 4 centimeters. White-pink, with a red-coral eye in the center, the flower, with a coral-colored border along the edge of the petals, resembles a phlox flower.
It blooms early and abundantly. The bush is decorated with umbrellas of large inflorescences. The foliage is colored bright green.
PAC Viva Rosita variety
Has gained popularity among flower growers.
A compact bush of a plant, gives many shoots for a long time and blooms profusely. In the inflorescence up to 20 double flowers. The diameter of one flower is up to 6 centimeters, which are painted in crimson red.
More about pelargoniums - when watching the video: