Growing seedlings in diapers is a bold and interesting idea that saves a large amount of free space, potting soil and the strength of summer residents and plant breeders. Every meter in apartments is appreciated here, and it is often long and difficult to get to the dacha in order to germinate high-quality seedlings.
- Pros of growing plants in diapers
- How to germinate seeds with diapers?
- Picking with diapers
- Diaper dive
- Features associated with this method
- It is important for diaper plants to ensure proper proper care.
Pros of growing plants in diapers
The most important positive factor in growing seedlings with this method is space saving. There is no need to force all the windowsills and tables with cups of seeds, several of these "nappies" can be put in one box or box and can be easily positioned on the windowsill.
In addition to this advantage, there are a number of others, but also very important:
- Seedlings do not suffer from diseases transmitted through the soil.
- There is no need to buy soil mixture and fill numerous cups with it.
- The method is easily applied for emergencies, if the main seeds have not sprouted, or for checking stale ones.
- The diaper has a long shelf life and is reusable; you just need to wash and dry it.
- It is convenient to dive sprouts.
- The dynamics of the growth of seedlings is clearly visible. Sick, weak plants are easy enough to remove.
- The method is simple and anyone can do it.
In addition to material costs, this method spends much less effort and time for plant breeders.
How to germinate seeds with diapers?
The method is carried out in two different ways, each with good results.
Method for germinating seeds without substrate
The method surprisingly saves space and the soil mixture is not required, as in the usual cultivation of seedlings. More than one hundred plants can be accommodated on one windowsill or table.
For this method, you will need:
- toilet paper;
- rubber bands (good for money);
- small containers (for example, plastic cups);
- plaster, or tape;
- felt-tip pen;
The process is carried out as follows:
- Cut the canvas into long strips 10-12 cm wide;
- Toilet paper is placed on each resulting strip and sprayed with a spray bottle;
- Departing from the edges by 1 cm, they begin to lay out the seeds. For tomatoes, the distance should be about 3 cm, for plants with larger seeds, the gap is increased by a few more cm;
- Toilet paper is again laid on the seeds, and on top the same strip of film;
- The strips are rolled freely into rolls and placed in prepared containers, where water is poured. With this method, make sure that the paper is always moistened, is 2-3 cm in water, then the seeds will have enough moisture for germination.
The containers are signed and placed in a warm, lighted place. Additionally, you can cover the containers with foil or glass, and add growth regulators to the water to speed up the process.
This method is similar to substrateless, but there are some differences. Since the soil, the film is used, it remains until transplanting and rooting in open ground or greenhouses. The method can also be used for seating after a completed pick.
Materials will be needed the same as in the previous method, but soil is also needed:
- Strips 10-12 cm wide are prepared.
- A thin layer of primer is laid on the prepared strips; paper can be omitted.
- Seeds are spread, with sprouts or dived seedlings with a distance of about 5 cm.
- Lightly sprinkle it on top with earth, roll out a layer of paper and put a strip of polyethylene.
- Roll up into a kind of "roll", fix the structure with an elastic band and place it in pallets, small boxes.
Picking with diapers
A pick is the very first transplant of germinated crop sprouts. Even if you used the diaper method for germination, you can transplant the sprouts into the film again by slightly changing the composition of the diaper itself. Or transplant it into regular potting soil.
With the help of the diaper method, it is very easy to pick young plants. They take a roll with already sprouted seedlings at the stage when a pick is required, and examine which side the roots are on. About 2-3 cm are counted from this level and the roots are pinched. The top layer of polyethylene must be removed, and the sprout in toilet paper is planted in a separate container.
For tomato seedlings, sprouted both by the diaper method and the traditional one, a film that is denser in composition is used. Strips are cut from it, similar in size to notebook sheets.
The process itself is pretty simple:
- Pour 1 spoonful of soil into the upper left corner of the strip.
- The sprout is positioned so that its lower leaves are above the edge.
- Carefully wrap the seedling so that the soil remains inside the diaper and roll it up. Rolls are secured with rubber bands and placed in containers. Put pickled tomatoes or other crops in a bright place. Water at room temperature is used for watering them, sometimes adding growth accelerators to it.
Transplanting to a permanent place from a film is very simple, it is enough to unfold a mature seedling and plant it in a planting hole. The root system will remain intact.
Tomatoes can be transplanted into polyethylene, as in the method described above, but this takes into account the peculiarity of their root system. If the roots of the vegetable have been damaged, the recovery process occurs very quickly, and the new roots grow stronger and more branched. Therefore, this culture can be transplanted not once, but even two or three. There won't be any harm.
When transplanting, the sprouts cannot be taken by the fragile stems, but they should be taken by the first 2 leaves that appear. Often the central root is pinched. This method is not suitable if the tomato planting takes place in a place with an arid climate and rare watering. The taproot absorbs moisture better than the lateral roots.
In tomatoes dived into the film, when full 5-7 leaves appear, the film rolls are unwound, 1-2 tablespoons of well-fertilized earth are added to the roots and wrapped again.
Features associated with this method
The method has a number of features that should be considered:
- Cucumber seeds should always be soaked. In a glass or plastic container, cotton wool or gauze is placed on the bottom, it is well saturated with water, and seeds are on top. The container is left in a warm place for several days.
- For the diaper method, varieties that are not hybrid are more suitable, but those that retain their properties and characteristics from generation to generation. Hybrid varieties, unfortunately, branch out strongly after diapers. This has nothing to do with yield indicators, but the appearance of the bushes and the greenhouse as a whole is spoiled.
- When planting tomato seedlings, the root system grows in depth, and not in width as with traditional germination. Watering for these mature plants will be less necessary. And for the peppers obtained by this method, on the contrary, it is necessary to provide more abundant and high-quality watering throughout the summer season.
It is important for diaper plants to ensure proper proper care.
Since the seedlings lacked the substrate, this deficiency is compensated by frequent feeding (5-8 times a month) with humic acids. The fertilizer concentration is made lower, since the seedlings are still too tender and fragile.
The moisture in the film is better retained and evaporates less, so watering is necessary less often.
If there is a lot of condensation on the diapers, it must be cleaned daily to prevent the appearance of fungus and rot.
If the seedlings do not have enough lighting, artificial lighting is additionally used in the form of a conventional lamp.
In any case, no matter how many positive aspects the diaper method has, the plants in the film feel worse than with traditional natural germination. Therefore, they should be transferred to a permanent place of growth as soon as possible.
Young seedlings should be carefully protected from sudden frosts. The best option is to transplant into a closed greenhouse ground.
And for open ground, plants protect from cold weather using some techniques:
- a kind of "pillow" is made in the soil to retain heat near the root system. To do this, they tear up the old pillow, prepare sawdust, straw, hay. These natural materials will warm the bushes from below;
- from above, they are covered with a film, special polymer covering materials or cut off plastic bottles.
With the help of the method proposed by Yulia Minyaeva, various types of seedlings of crops are grown: tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, greens, onions, cabbage, not only for their own needs, but also for sale.
At the same time, the summer resident does not need many bags of soil, numerous boxes, huge greenhouses and large labor costs. The most important requirements are the presence of windows on the east or south sides, a simple set of materials and timely watering.
As a result, the plants turn out to be a little weaker than when grown in soil, but the great advantage is that the seedlings obtained under stress conditions try to plant flower brushes as soon as possible and get a harvest.
The method is universal, suitable both for seeds and for planting germinated plants. This is the case when, with a minimum of money and investment of time, an excellent result is obtained.
And you can watch new videos about growing seedlings in diapers on Yulia Minyaeva's thematic channel "Whether in the garden or in the garden":