Herbicides - These are chemicals that are used to kill unwanted vegetation. By the nature of the impact, they can be divided into:
- continuous action (that is, it kills all types of plants);
- selective action (affects certain types of plants and does not damage others).
Strawberry herbicides are of the second type, that is, those that protect crops from weeds. In order to prepare in advance the area for planting strawberries, it is necessary to clear it of such harmful herbs as wheatgrass, thistle and others.
- Preplant plantation processing
- Herbicides for the first month after planting
- Summer weed control
- The first fall and the next two to three years
Preplant plantation processing
For pre-planting treatment, the following herbicides for strawberries are most effective:
- Galtix (2 kilograms per 1 hectare) + Betanal (3 liters per 1 hectare) - used when the weeds are still in the cotyledon phase; two treatments are recommended;
- Galtix (4 kilograms per 1 hectare) + Betanal (3 liters per 1 hectare) - similarly, when the weeds are in the cotyledon stage, however, there is only one treatment;
- Betanal (3 liters per hectare) + Venzar (0.40 liters per hectare) - weeds in the cotyledon phase, one treatment;
- herbicides with Glyphosate - are used for actively growing weeds, after two treatments, you can forget about serious weeding for several years;
- against germinating plants in autumn or spring (three to four weeks before planting strawberries), Trifluralin is applied. The solution is made at the rate of 480 g per liter of water, about 2.5 liters of solution is needed per hectare.
For good results, the soil must have sufficient moisture and the weeds must be fresh and fast growing. In dry weather, it is advisable to water the treatment planting.
Herbicides for the first month after planting
Weeds grow especially vigorously during the first two weeks after planting strawberries.
Immediately after planting, you can apply Dactal, which is very effective against germinating weeds, especially cereals.
To eliminate dicotyledons, Fenmedipham (21 g per liter of water) is introduced into moist soil together with Desmedipham (71 g per liter of water) and Etofumezat (112 g per liter of water). This mixture should be applied at the rate of 1.5 liters per hectare. Fluazifop-P-butyl is suitable for the control of cereal weeds.
Summer weed control
- Poast together with PAB or Prism - most often used against perennial and annual cereals. The second option is Select and Fuzilad;
- against annual dicotyledonous weeds, herbicides with Clopyralid are preferable, which penetrate into plants through the leaves. The solution is prepared at the rate of 300 g per liter of water, half a liter of solution is required per hectare;
- Lontrel 300-D is used against dandelion, sorrel, chamomile, buckwheat, plantain, sow thistle and mountaineers. The solution is made from five milliliters of the product and a liter of water. One hundred square meters need five liters of such a solution;
- in the first fall after planting, winter weed control can be enhanced with Sinbar or Devrinol. But it should be borne in mind that Sinbar is also unsafe for strawberries - weak plants may die. Before use, you should make sure that the variety being built is well tolerated by this drug. Devrinol is very effective against cereals (when mulched with straw) and spring annuals. If two treatments are required, it is necessary to ensure that the total dose of the drugs does not exceed the dose allowed for one season.
In order not to damage the strawberries, you should never do the Sinbar treatment at the same time as the cereal treatment. First, it is necessary to apply drugs against cereals and only after six weeks - Sinbar.
Sinbar and Devrinol act on weeds through the soil, therefore it is better to use them after rain. In dry weather, irrigation is necessary after treatment. Weak plants die in two to three days, the strongest in two weeks.
You should not think that when processing plantings of strawberries, the need for weeding and loosening is completely eliminated.
The first fall and the next two to three years
After removing the leaves in the first autumn, as well as in the second and third years, herbicides with Lenacil are applied. This drug is effective before weeds emerge, affects mainly dicotyledonous weeds. If there are a lot of cereals on the plantation, herbicides are additionally applied against these species.
After applying herbicides, the soil should not be loosened for at least 20 days. It should also always be remembered that these drugs can harm people and animals, therefore, when processing, maximum care is required. The dosage prescribed for each individual drug should never be exceeded.
Strawberry is a perennial plant. Work on the plantation continues after the harvest. In addition to herbicide treatment, it is necessary to remove the mustache, water and feed the plantings. Otherwise, there is no need to expect a good harvest in the future.