Petunia came to horticultural culture back in the 18th century. Multicolored petunia grandiflora is the leader among flower growers.
- Biological description
- Popular large-flowered petunias
- Growing and care
- Diseases and pests of petunia grandiflora
Petunia is a herbaceous plant from the Solanaceae family, a close relative of tobacco. It grows naturally in the countries of South America:
More than 100 species and hybrid forms are known, it can be both annual and perennial. Basically, varieties and hybrids were bred by crossing axillary petunia and purple petunia.
Stems are erect or creeping, 20 cm to 80 cm long, with dense branching. The leaves are pubescent, whole-cut, of different sizes. The flowers are large, simple or double, and may have a pungent strong odor. The shape of the flowers is a funnel of five petals. Color - varied: white, pink, purple.
Petunias can be divided into groups by size and number of flowers:
- petunias grandiflora: large-flowered, flowers are very large, few
- petunias floribunda: the size of the flowers is medium, the number of them is also medium
- petunias multiflora: flowers are small, but due to the large number, cover the bush completely
The shape of pendula ampel petunias also differs in size and number of flowers. Regardless of the size and shape of the bush, flowers can be simple and double. The variety of shapes makes petunia attractive for garden design, decorating loggias.
Forms of large-flowered petunias
Large-flowered petunias are suitable for growing in a flower bed, in containers, pots. Indispensable when decorating terraces, loggias, balconies. The group of petunias grandiflora is very numerous. It can be conditionally divided into subgroups:
- low petunias, bush height no more than 30 cm
- fringed petunias, bush height up to 65 cm, flowers with fringed edges
- double petunias, height up to 60 cm, filled flowers
- superb petunias, height up to 75 cm, flower diameter 12 cm
They can combine several signs at the same time, for example, petunia fringed, terry, low.
A significant disadvantage: large flowers are easily damaged in adverse weather conditions. Loose from the rain, damaged by the wind, large flowers of petunia grandiflora lose any decorative effect. In order to avoid loss of attractiveness, it is more convenient to grow in containers and pots, which can be moved to closed terraces and verandas in bad weather.
Popular large-flowered petunias
- Petunias Pikoti - early petunias of grandiflora, flowers up to 8 cm in diameter, flowers are red, blue, purple with a wide white border along the edge. Blooms in early June
- Petunias Ultra - later in the beginning of flowering, large-flowered, undersized. The flowers are white, pink, purple, bicolor and variegated. Size up to 8 cm in diameter Looks great as a curb plant and in hanging pots. Flowering time: from the first decade of July to frost.
- Petunia Triumph is a giant among giants, the diameter of the flowers exceeds 15 cm, the flowers are wavy or fringed, early flowering, the flowering period continues until the first freezing temperatures. Flowers from white to dark burgundy. Great petunias for growing in containers, hanging pots.
- Petunias of the Mystic series are a fashionable direction of black and two-color large-flowered petunias. While it consists of black petunia Black Corduroy and black and yellow petunia Phantom.
- Black Corduroy: The first true black large-flowered petunia. A bush with straight, tall shoots, tolerates pruning well. Suitable for pots and containers. Long flowering.
- Phantom: on a black background - a yellow five-pointed star in the center, the petals of large flowers are velvety.
Seedlings of petunias Black Velvet and Phantom can already be purchased in Russia.
- Green Picasso: green flowers with pink centers
- Eclipse at Midnight: blue flowers with a light green border
- Harmony: ruffled flower, delicate pink with a lilac pattern in the center
- Kang Kang: bright scarlet flowers with a yellow-cream center
Growing and care
For the full decorative flowering of petunias, you need to get seedlings. To do this, seeds mixed with earth are sown in containers or mini greenhouses filled with prepared soil in late February - early March. Distribute evenly over a well-moistened surface, cover with a layer of loose, sifted earth 1 cm thick. Cover with glass.
Germination takes place at a temperature not lower than 20 degrees Celsius. According to its technology, growing petunia seedlings has much in common with growing tomato and pepper seedlings. On the seventh to eighth day, the first shoots appear. With moderate daily moistening by spraying and uniform sunlight, after five to six days the first leaf appears, the glass is removed.
Planting in open ground or transplanting into pots and pots, begins in the second - third decade of April. In specialized stores, you can buy ready-made seedlings. For growing in the garden, it is better to choose well-lit areas with neutral soil, add humus and complex fertilization in advance.
Place the planting holes for large-flowered petunia at a distance of at least 30 cm from each other. Place the plant at the bottom of the hole, carefully cover the roots with soil, slightly compact, pour water. After planting and watering, mulch the root zone with humus, peat soil. This will protect the plant from possible frost. If large-flowered petunia is planted in the ground on April 20, then the first flowers will open around the end of June - early July. In dry weather, additional watering is required.
Diseases and pests of petunia grandiflora
Blackleg is a fungal disease that occurs when crowded, waterlogged, acidic soil. The stem of the flower darkens in the root zone, becomes soft, the plant dies. If found, all damaged plants must be removed from the adjacent land. After that, treatment with fungicides is carried out, for example, the biological product "Fitosporin".
Powdery mildew is a fungal disease that occurs with high humidity and temperature changes. A light gray bloom appears on the leaves. The affected parts of the plant must be removed immediately. The plant is sprayed with sulfur preparations, it is also possible to remove the top layer of the earth.
- spider mite
You can destroy pests by timely spraying with ready-made insecticidal preparations. Seeds, seedlings of petunia grandiflora, care products, it is advisable to purchase in specialized stores, including via the Internet.
The subtleties of growing petunias on video: