Did you know that blueberries are a very valuable and useful plant? And to grow it, after all, is mono and in your summer cottage. How? We'll find out now ...
- Planting blueberries
- How to care for blueberries
To grow garden blueberries, you need to plant them in soil with a certain acidity level.
There are several conditions for caring for blueberries, which will allow you to harvest a rich berry harvest every year, regardless of the weather. Be sure to remember that blueberries love soil with a certain level of acidity. Then it will actively grow and develop well. To determine the acidity of the soil, use indicator paper or special devices. You can buy them at a hardware store. The best pH is 3.5-4.5. If the pH value is insufficient, then the soil for planting blueberries must be acidified. To do this, take ammonium sulfate, sulfuric acid solution, and the like. You can deoxidize in different ways. For example, add lime.
An interesting fact is that blueberries are often called by other names - drunkard or gonobel. But it doesn’t nearly puff and doesn’t affect the human consciousness. This is typical of her neighbor - wild rosemary.
To plant the berries, dig a hole 50 x 50 cm wide and 40 cm deep. Fill it with this mixture: one part of the top soil layer, two parts of peat and one part of plant humus. Replacing humus with a top layer of soil from coniferous forests with fallen needles will even better affect the growth of blueberries. After you have planted your seedling, shelter it from wind and direct sunlight for 30-35 days (before rooting). But do not forget to regularly monitor the amount of moisture near the seedling.
How to care for blueberries
- Taking care of this berry is not difficult. The main thing is to water the plant, regularly loosen the soil and apply top dressing twice a season.
- On hot days, water the blueberries once a week in the morning. Pour two or three buckets of water under each plant. After that, to retain moisture, it would be nice to mulch with a layer of peat or old sawdust.
- Before the garden blueberry begins to bloom, the first top dressing is applied. For this, potassium, sodium humate, Kemira-Lux fertilizer (one tablespoon each) are diluted in 10 liters of water. About 15 liters are poured under each bush.
- When the fruits begin to set, a second feeding is done. For the solution, dilute two tablespoons of Ideal and Nitrofoski with two tablespoons of Berry fertilizer in 10 liters of water. One plant requires 20 liters of solution.
- If you learn how to properly take care of garden blueberries, then the number and size of berries will be much larger than forest ones, and the taste will hardly differ.
Pruning dry and damaged branches, excess root shoots is done at 4 or 5 years of growing bushes. First of all, branches are cut from which there are few fruits of useful blueberries. The plant can be gradually rejuvenated every year, allowing new shoots to germinate after removing the old ones. Wait for the first good harvest in the 4th year. Garden blueberries can bear fruit for up to 60 years without transplanting to another soil.
How to plant blueberries correctly is shown in the following video: